Welcome to an opportunity to make a lasting impact on the next generation of Earth and space scientists! We invite Principal Investigators (PIs) to join our summer program as mentors for the Research Experiences in Solid Earth Science for Students (RESESS) internship. This is your chance to engage talented undergraduate students in meaningful projects, ranging from 9 to 12 weeks, while contributing to their academic and professional development.
Why Mentor RESESS Interns?
- Inspire Future Leaders: As a mentor, you have the power to inspire and shape the future of solid Earth science. Your guidance can foster a passion for research, encourage critical thinking, and inspire these young minds to pursue advanced degrees and careers in STEM.
- Contribute to Diversity and Inclusion: The RESESS program is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in the geosciences. By mentoring interns, you actively contribute to creating a more diverse and representative scientific community, addressing the existing disparities in the field.
- Flexible Project Timelines: We understand the importance of accommodating the unique needs of your research. Projects can span between 9 to 12 weeks, providing flexibility for both mentors and interns to engage in meaningful and impactful work.
- Showcase Your Research: Utilize this opportunity to advance your own research agenda. Collaborate with motivated and talented students to make progress on your projects, achieving research milestones with fresh perspectives and enthusiasm.
- Professional Development for Interns: Your mentorship will not only contribute to academic growth but also equip interns with essential skills for their future careers. The experience gained during your project will empower them to present their work at a fall meeting, most likely at AGU, providing exposure to the broader scientific community.
What Does Mentoring Entail?
- Provide guidance on research methodologies and techniques.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive research environment.
- Encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Support interns in the development of their research projects.
- Help interns prepare for presenting their work at conferences.
How to Get Involved:
If you are a PI passionate about mentoring the next generation of Earth and space scientists, we encourage you to apply as a mentor for the RESESS internship program. Your expertise and guidance will leave a lasting impact on these aspiring scientists, contributing to the advancement of solid Earth science and fostering a more inclusive and diverse scientific community.
Join us in shaping the future of geosciences by applying to mentor a RESESS intern today! Your commitment will make a significant difference in the lives and careers of these talented undergraduate students. Apply now and become a catalyst for positive change in the world of Earth and space science.