The RESESS Internship is a multi-summer internship program, primarily funded by the National Science Foundation, that is dedicated to increasing diversity in the geosciences. RESESS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group that is historically underrepresented in the Earth sciences, and from students who can demonstrate experience working towards to raising awareness about the importance of the geosciences among broad or diverse segments of the population. This program is hosted by UNAVCO, Inc., in Boulder, Colorado.
The application deadline is February 1. Program dates are May 20th to August 2nd, 2019.
A successful candidate usually will:
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at the close of this application with a major in Earth or environmental sciences or related field
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- From a historically underrepresented group in the geosciences
- Have completed several courses in geology, physical geography, hydrology, environmental sciences, math, physics, geophysics, or engineering
- Be interested in pursuing a career in the Earth or environmental sciences or related science
- Have U.S. citizenship or permanent-resident status. Sorry, no exceptions
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements such as living in Boulder, Colorado, for the summer: Internship job description - First Year Intern and Internship job description - Returning Intern
In preparing to apply, consider the following:
- To apply to RESESS, you must fill out the online application found here. To apply to RESESS as a First Year Intern, you must fill out the RESESS Intern – First Year application. To apply to RESESS as a Returning Intern (you must have already participated for one summer), you must fill out the RESESS Intern – Returning application.
- The application has 10 steps, each with several questions:
- On the first page, you do not need to upload a resume or CV. Select "Continue without uploading…"
- In Step 2, for questions about the job type and career level, select "Intern" or "Internship". You do not need to answer the questions about relevant work experience or desired salary
- In Step 3, you do not need to answer the questions about additional countries in which you are authorized to work or security clearance.
- In Step 6, there is no need to upload your résumé. Instead, please upload PDFs of all of your college transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted).
- Step 7 includes the questions that are particular to the RESESS program. You must provide a short essay response to each of these questions (max 200 words per essay). The essay questions for First Year and Returning interns are listed below.
- In Step 8, you will not need to answer any of the questions.
- You will need to provide a copy of college transcripts to the RESESS program before the application deadline, for all colleges that you have attended. Please upload your questions in Step 6.
- Complete the application by February 1, 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time.
- If you are notified that you are a finalist by February 9, 2019, you will need two letters of recommendation from college faculty members or research advisors to be emailed directly to resess-recommendationunavco.org no later than February 14, 2019. See the FAQ with tips on who to choose for references.
- Direct your references to the web page with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
Applicant Essay Questions - Please prepare responses prior to starting your application (max 200 words per question)
First Year Intern
- Introduce Yourself: Please tell us about how you became interested in the Earth or environmental sciences.
- RESESS Mission: RESESS is dedicated to increasing the diversity of the geoscience workforce by supporting students from historically under-represented groups among broad and diverse segments of the population. Please describe how your life experiences and participation in the RESESS Internship Program will support this mission.
- RESESS Education and Community Engagement: RESESS is dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of the geosciences among broad and diverse segments of the population. Please describe how you have helped someone in your family or community learn about or understand science.
- Research Interests: Please indicate which topics interest you the most in the Earth and environmental sciences. You may list as many topics in the box below as you like.
- Career Goals: Please write about your career and academic goals. What college-level science, technology, engineering or mathematics courses are you enrolled in or have you completed? Specifically describe how participation in this program will lead to the pursuit of your career and academic goals.
- Academic Record: Do you feel your academic record accurately reflects your abilities and potential? Please describe any hardships (physical, mental, educational, economic, social, or otherwise) that you have overcome in pursuing your academic goals.
- Educational Institution: Name of current educational institution, include city and state.
- Major: Your current major and minor (if any).
- Expected Graduation Date: What year and month do you plan to graduate?
- (Optional) Please share any additional information about yourself not addressed by this application, or any concerns you have with participating in UNAVCO’s RESESS program.
- Describe how participating in RESESS as a returning intern will help you advance your academic and/or career goals in the geosciences.
- Please describe how you have advanced your engagement in the earth sciences since your last RESESS summer internship.
- As you are aware, RESESS encourages returning interns to contact potential mentors for summer research. Have you already spoken with potential mentors about summer research in 2019? If so, list potential research mentors and include their name, institution, and the topic on which you would be working.
Note: If you have questions or are unable to complete the application online, please contact resessunavco.org or call 303-381-7500.