Week 6 – Methods sections; Posters, visuals and abstracts
Friday, June 24
|10:00-11:15||Guided peer review of methods sections|
|11:20-12:00||Looking ahead to the results and discussion sections. Clarifying/revising your claim: what will research permit you to argue? How results and discussion sections relate to introduction section.
How to write the abstract and develop the graphics for the RESESS calendar.
Tips on PowerPoint, posters, and abstracts.
Handouts to be discussed
- Peer Review: Methods [doc]
- Writing the Results and Discussion Sections [PDF]
- Oral Presentation Feedback Sheet [doc]
- How to Write an Abstract [PDF]
- SACNAS: video on writing an effective abstract:
- Sample SACNAS abstracts: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21485523/2012_Abstract_Samples.pdf
Due Friday, July 8 at Writing Workshop
Develop (and rehearse!) a PowerPoint presentation that focuses on your introduction (problem statement), methods, and relevance. Roughly 10 minutes.
Read Hofmann, chapter 28, on oral presentations
Reading due Friday, July 8 at Writing Workshop