Applications for the 2013 internship are now closed.
The RESESS Internship is a multi-summer internship program, primarily funded by NSF OEDG, that is dedicated to increasing diversity in the geosciences. RESESS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group that is historically underrepresented in the Earth sciences, and from students who can demonstrate experience working towards to raising awareness about the importance of the geosciences among broad or diverse segments of the population. This program is hosted by UNAVCO, Inc., in Boulder, Colorado.
The application deadline is February 1.
A successful candidate usually will:
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of college remaining after the initial summer program
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed several courses in geology, physical geography, hydrology, environmental sciences, math, physics, geophysics, or engineering
- Be interested in pursuing a career in the Earth or environmental sciences or related science
- Have U.S. citizenship or permanent-resident status. Sorry, no exceptions
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements [PDF] such as living in Boulder, Colorado, for the summer
In preparing to apply, consider the following:
- You will need two letters of recommendation from college faculty members or research advisors. See the FAQ with tips on who to choose for references.
- Direct your references to the web page with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
- You will need a copy of transcripts on hand while filling out the online application, for all colleges that you have attended. (Note: if you are selected to participate in the RESESS program, you will be asked to provide an official copy of your transcripts.)
- The application has seven steps with several questions.
- In Step 2, for questions about the job type, select "Intern" or "Internship."
- In Step 2, you do not need to answer the questions about relevant work experience or desired salary..
- In Step 6. There is no need to upload your résumé. Instead, click on "Continue to Step 7."
- Step 7 includes the questions that are particular to the RESESS program. Be sure to fill out all of these questions.
- To apply to RESESS, you must fill out this online application.
- Complete everything by Feb. 1, midnight, Pacific Time.
Note: If you have questions or are unable to complete the application online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-381-7515.