Application Portal will open November 17
The RESESS Internship is a multi-summer internship program, primarily funded by NSF OEDG, that is dedicated to increasing diversity in the geosciences. RESESS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group that is historically underrepresented in the Earth sciences, and from students who can demonstrate experience working towards to raising awareness about the importance of the geosciences among broad or diverse segments of the population. This program is hosted by UNAVCO, Inc., in Boulder, Colorado.
The application deadline is February 1.
A successful candidate usually will:
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of college remaining after the initial summer program
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed several courses in geology, physical geography, hydrology, environmental sciences, math, physics, geophysics, or engineering
- Be interested in pursuing a career in the Earth or environmental sciences or related science
- Have U.S. citizenship or permanent-resident status. Sorry, no exceptions
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements such as living in Boulder, Colorado, for the summer: Internship job description - First Year Intern and Internship job description - Returning Intern
In preparing to apply, consider the following:
- You will need two letters of recommendation from college faculty members or research advisors. See the FAQ with tips on who to choose for references.
- Direct your references to the web page with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
- To apply to RESESS, you must fill out the online application found here. To apply to RESESS as a First Year Intern, you must fill out the RESESS Intern – First Year application. To apply to RESESS as a Returning Intern (you must have already participated for one summer), you must fill out the RESESS Intern – Returning application.
- The application has 10 steps, each with several questions:
- On the first page, you do not need to upload a resume or CV. Select "Continue without uploading…"
- In Step 2, for questions about the job type and career level, select "Intern" or "Internship".
- In Step 2, you do not need to answer the questions about relevant work experience or desired salary
- In Step 3, you do not need to answer the questions about additional countries in which you are authorized to work or security clearance.
- In Step 6, there is no need to upload your résumé. Instead, please upload PDFs of all of your college transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted).
- Step 7 includes the questions that are particular to the RESESS program. You must provide a short essay response to each of these questions (max 200 words per essay). You must also ensure your (2) letters of recommendation are emailed to resess-recommendationunavco.org.
- Step 8, you will not need to answer any of the questions for this step.
- You will need to provide a copy of college transcripts to the RESESS program before the application deadline, for all colleges that you have attended. Please upload your questions in Step 6.
- Complete everything by Feb. 1, 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time.
Note: If you have questions or are unable to complete the application online, please contact resessunavco.org or call 303-381-7488.